Thursday 26 March 2020

Answers to yesterday's bird name quiz!

I hope you had fun with the quiz! How many did you get right? Did anyone get 10/10? We'd love to hear .The answers are below, whilst the second part of the quiz is ready for tomorrow, stay safe everyone!

1) Well I never knew that a  'Horse Masher' is an old Cornish term for this early migrant Chat, what is it? Answer Northern Wheatear

2) Luckily I've never had a 'Horny Wink' but did you know it's is also the Cornish name for a smart looking Plover, can you guess what it is? Answer Lapwing

3) I always thought it was something else but in fact a 'Muffie' is an old Scottish Term for this dapper migrant Sylvia Warbler which will arrive back to England in a week or two, do you know which one? Answer Common Whitethroat

4) I've certainly been shown 'Two Fingers' once or twice in my life however it's also the Sussex name for this diminutive scuttling garden bird, but which one is it? Answer Wren

5) I've never really heard the term " Wind F#cker' before? Who'd have thought it was an old Northern for one of our native Falcon's. Can you guess which one it is? Answer Kestrel

6) 'Quick me dick ' 'Quick me dick' is an Oxfordshire saying describing the call of this tiny migrant game bird, but which one? Answer Quail

7) My favourite name so far! The 'Poke Pudding' is an old Gloucestershire name for this sociable Tit species, can you guess which one it is? Answer Long-tailed Tit

8) A 'Dull Willy' isn't a medical condition after all, in fact it's an East Anglian name for this handsome beach dwelling Plover, can you name it? Answer Ringed Plover

9) I was worried I might have to eat this in lockdown but actually 'Magot Pie' is a 17th century Shakespearean term for which clever corvid? Answer Magpie

10) I guess ' Jet Cock' comes from this birds habit of flushing just before you stand on it whilst walking through a flooded field or marsh, can you name it? Answer Jack Snipe





No comments:

Post a Comment