Wednesday 28 December 2016

Starling roost , Glaucous Gull and Walmsley Sanctuary

I went to see my sister and nephews in Boscastle yesterday to give them their xmas presents so I managed to sneak in a bit of birding before and after...


In the morning I went to Walmsley for a couple of hours... It's looking really good there and I had a nice mixture of birds but nothing that different. Amongst all the ducks, geese and waders were 1 Barnacle Goose,3 Shelduck, 252 Wigeon, 14 Pintail, 158 Black-tailed Godwit, 2 Ruff, 2000 Golden Plover, 2 Water Pipit, 1 Grey Wagtail, 1 Kingfisher and 2 Water Rail.


I spent a lovely couple of hours in Boscastle and then went home via Crowdy Lake , to my surprise a 1st Winter Glaucous Gull was amongst the gulls coming in to roost! This is a very scarce bird on Bodmin Moor and it was my first record at Crowdy. I also had 47 Teal, 1 Goldeneye and 1 Kingfisher.

Before it got dark I headed over to Roughtor and watched the amazing Starling roost and mermurations. It really is one of the natural wonders of the world and it's dazzling watching what must be close to a million birds forming amazing shapes as they dance in the sky... Even if you don't have any interest in birds you should go just once to see them just to experience it ! To finish a great a day off I watched a  Short-eared Owl flying over the moorland behind Roughtor .

Bodmin Moor at Sunset

Starlings







Starling Murmuration



No comments:

Post a Comment