Tuesday 1 November 2016

Sunday morning at Trevose Head

Peregrine Falcon



The last week has been pretty manic and if I haven't been working I have been at home with the flu puking! However I felt well enough to get out to Trevose Head on Sunday morning in the hope of some late migration....
I had been itching to get out all week and I can only imagine what I have missed lately in all these easterly winds, however Sunday was rather gloomy overhead and I think it slowed the birding down somewhat. I spent most of the morning stood overlooking the golf course and I enjoyed half decent numbers overhead . Thrushes were moving in good numbers and I logged 26 Blackbird, 6 Fieldfare, 136 Redwing and 12 Song Thrush throughout the morning. Wood Pigeons also seemed to be on the move and several flocks numbering 139 birds moved through along with 2 Collared Doves. The bird of the morning was a Brambling which was a welcome year tick whilst other finches included 150 Chaffinch, 1 Siskin and 37 Goldfinch.

Woodpigeon's on the move


Even though I checked the hedges and tree's very thoroughly I found it tough going to see any migrants with 5 Goldcrests, 3 Chiff-chaffs and 2 smart Blackcaps my only reward . By the end of an enjoyable morning I had also seen 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Buzzard, 90 Golden Plover, 1 Lapwing, 1 Common Snipe, 30 Black headed Gull , 1 Med Gull, 3 Common Gull ,2 Peregrine Falcon's ,118 Skylark, 71 Starling, 5 Grey Wagtail, 12 Pied Wagtail, 47 Meadow Pipit, 3 Reed Buntings and 11 Corn Buntings . I was happy with my haul of common migrants and I guess the Dusky Warbler and the Pallid Harrier will have to wait for another day ha ha .....

No comments:

Post a Comment