Saturday 12 November 2016

Update on the Aythya Duck at Dozmary Pool



After an enjoyable morning with the CBWPS bird report team I went back to Dozmary Pool to try and sort out the female Tufty type duck I saw last weekend. I'm still confused by it , there are definitely pro Lesser Scaup features ( such as the paler brown overall colour , narrow white blaze around the bill and small nail on the bill, but at times I'm not sure if the head shape is 100% right. I waited patiently for 2 hours in horrible weather for it to lift it's wings but did it hell! It's probably not the real thing but I'm still going to try and sort it out just to learn from it if it stays around , something just bugs me with it! It just seems different enough to the Tufted Ducks on the pool ( which it rarely associates with , seems to be alone on the opposite bank or with Pochards ) to warrant some more time sorting it out. Here are 2 links to some shoddy video I phone scoped earlier , showing at least the structure of the bird:

https://youtu.be/JKTQs49RMCc

https://youtu.be/2SuCGlnL8jo




Also present were 1 female Goldeneye , 7 Tufted Duck, 5 Pochard, 1 Teal, 2 Wigeon and 1 Pintail. Whilst on the reservoir 2 Adult Yellow Legged Gull's were as good as it got.

No comments:

Post a Comment