Saturday 10 September 2016

Wader day

I had a bit of a lie in this morning after a manic 7 days of work but I managed to hit the road at 9am and start my wader mission! First stop was Davidstow Airfield , a little dissapointing considering the the fast moving weather front overnight and the fact the airfield looks spot on . I wasn't helped by dogwalkers mind ( you'd think they would find somewhere nicer to walk their dogs! ) . 8 Ringed Plover , 2 Ruff , 1 Dunlin , 1 Green Sandpiper , 39 Wheatear and a couple of White Wagtails was all I could find. 

I then carried on to Maer Lake , it's still looking very good there , although the water level has gone up a little . I spotted 5 Wigeon, 1 Shoveler, 2 Juvenile Garganey, 1 Little Egret, 1 Curlew, 17 Black-tailed Godwit, 1 Bar-tailed Godwit, 3 Ruff and 2 Dunlin. Again not a bad list of birds but wader variety was average.

I cut across Bodmin Moor to Colliford and just like last week all the birds seemed to be feeding around the Loveney end of the reservoir,except for good numbers of gulls off of the dam. I spent two hours at Loveney and I was rewarded with another Yankee! A smart juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper , no photo's this time I'm afraid , I just couldn't line up my I phone and scope at the same time.... 
I also saw 1 European Golden Plover, 1 Lapwing, 10 Ringed Plover, 1 Ruff, 1 Sanderling, 4 Dunlin, 1 Greenshank, 1 Ad Yellow Legged Gull and a Kingfisher. 


My last place to visit was Siblyback, as I walked towards the Northern arm I met up with a friendly birding couple from Launceston who I see a few times each year and always have a nice chat with ( sorry I don't know your names!) . I pointed out a smart adult Yellow Legged Gull to them and they mentioned a Pectoral Sandpiper had also been seen here but had dissapeared. I had an incline that it couldn't be far away and decided to walk further along the shoreline so you can look up a channel that is hidden from view unless you walk past the hide here . Sure enough there was the Pec , another yankee for the day and a great way to finish things off . The only other things I noted were a Nuthatch in the car park and 6 Ringed Plover dotted about


No comments:

Post a Comment