Friday 16 September 2016

Davidstow Delight's

Yesterday I was a poorly boy 😩! A visit to the doctors confirmed a chest infection and sinusitis! I am tired, weak and to top it off the worst person in the world for sitting or lying in bed and taking it easy!

Davidstow was just up the road from the doctors and I felt an hour sat in the car was no different to an hour in front the TV, and surely healthy fresh air was better for me than stale sick bed air?

On arrival at the airfield it was apparent there were good numbers of Northern Wheatear present. I never try and take this species for granted as they are just beautiful and are one of our longest travelling passerines, wintering in sub-saharran Africa.


                                                 Northern Wheatear

I then pursued the waders and soon encountered some Ringed Plovers and Dunlin. In this small flock the Buff-breasted Sandpiper was foraging and fantastic to see on the ground as my previous encounter with it was far too brief. 

Ringed Plover
Buff-breasted Sandpiper

A Ruff was also present around the control tower pool despite visiting birders and dog owners walking around. It always baffles me the lack of commonsense so many birdwatchers seem to lack when visiting the airfield. You can get so close to the waders if you drive carefully and are respectful on your approach. It is a real mix of emotion when you see people who have been birding for decades acting so foolish and then wonder why birds disappear so soon after discovery, frustration mixed with hilarity! I also watched a Sparrowhawk hunting Linnets and Wagtails offering close views and some exciting explosive manoeuvre's! A juvenile Whinchat was also a pleasing discovery briefly seen on the boundary hedge near the old buildings.

Ruff

Sparrowhawk

My final count of the visit were 1 Buff-breasted Sandpiper, 1 Ruff, 5 Ringed Plover, 2 Dunlin, 1 Male Sparrowhawk, 1 juvenile Whinchat, 39 Wheatear and 2 White Wagtail. 

1 comment: