Saturday 17 September 2016

Waders on the move at Maer Lake and Camel Estuary

After some shopping and a haircut in Wadebridge I decided to have a drive up to Maer Lake in Bude. I have to say it is looking really good here . There is an extensive muddy shoreline which is perfect for waders at the moment, something good will turn up here soon!

                                                                     Maer Lake


Plenty of common waders were on show and I was delighted to see 7 Ringed Plover, 2 Curlew, 13 Black-tailed Godwit, 2 Knot, 4 Ruff, 1 Juv Curlew Sandpiper, 15 Dunlin and 18 Common Snipe. A Kingfisher added some colour and an eclipse drake Shoveler showed well. 

I then had a look at Davidstow Airfield and Crowdy on the way back through but both where very quiet and I didn't see a single wader , just birders , motorbikes , dog walkers and radio controlled planes! I think it's best avoided in the middle of the day, unless its raining... Still it's always worth a quick check and I was more keen to get to Tregunna and watch the tide in on the Camel Estuary...

I timed the tide at the Camel pretty well , it had just turned and I sat happily watching the waders moving up river as the tide came in . 9 Grey Plover, 5 Ringed Plover, 17 Black-tailed Godwit, 76 Bar-tailed Godwit, 15 Knot, 1 Curlew Sandpiper and 40 Dunlin were noted busily feeding up before the mud was covered . 

Now that the water had covered the mud I dashed over to Walmsley Sanctuary to see what would come in on the high tide and I was joined with Pete Roseveare and Stan Christophers. Pete's eagle eyes picked out a smart juvenile Whinchat which was a year tick for me , thanks Pete! Whilst Stan quickly spotted 3 Pintail; my first for the Autumn. Also on show was the long staying juvenile Garganey, 5 Gadwall, 1 Shoveler, 9 Curlew, 5 Dunlin, 1 Common Snipe, 1 Greenshank and 1 Kingfisher . I left early to see if any waders had been pushed up into Treraven Meadows but it was dead there with just 1 Common Sandpiper of note... and a quick catch up with local birder Pete Maker in the hide. So all in all a pretty good days birding and I still have tomorrow to look forward to with some ringing in the morning followed by a trip up to Bodmin Moor hopefully!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment